Tuesday, March 30, 2004

Security is great until it breaks something

I have running on my machine, Norton AntiVirus, McAfee AnitVirus, McAfee Firewall, and Zone Alarm. (I am not paranoid.) I recently installed Visual Studio. And when I tried to create a new project I got presented with a can not load class error. After searching on Google I discovered that both McAfee and Norton AntiVirus try to register their own version of Scripting.FilesystemObject. In the posting that I read, it told me to go to the registry and change the file back to the Microsoft one. That fixed the problem, however my system is now less secure because my Virus software is not managing scripts that use the FilesystemObject. Security is a great thing until it causes problems. The most secure computer is the one that is turned off. However, this doesn’t help me.

No comments: