Thursday, April 07, 2005

Will monkeys replace programmers?

As I was pondering and Googling this, I came across the term “Code Monkey”.

Wikipedia's definition - "Amateur computer programmer who stiches together snippets of code found on the internet and in books and puts them together to make an application, without having an appreciation or understanding what the principles behind the code or the concept of coding are."

Another Wiki definition - (down on the page) "Rather than an insult for a programmer who is sloppy (which the above implies), I hear it used for someone who is doomed to work on "unglamorous" programming tasks, often using older/antiquated/"uncool" technology. Examples of work that a CodeMonkey might do in this definition (I do not intend to denigrate these tasks myself)" (hmm... Maybe I am a code monkey)

I also thought this was good (also from the wiki site above):

“If an infinite number of monkeys on an infinite number of type-writers randomly tap the keys, would they eventually produce Hamlet? And would they eventually be able to produce {insert your favorite program}?”

I also found this funny fictional story about monkeys on strike at Fox Broadcasting.
Monkeys NOT Working Around the Clock, On Strike

No comments: