Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Another Windows XP SP2 Problem

After installing SP2 I was getting popup errors on my Tablet PC. (An error has occurred in the script URL is res://C:\WINNT\help\tpc_oobe.dll/tabsplash.hta.) The errors where coming from a "Tablet PC getting started" dialog that displays when you log into windows. If I had clicked the “don’t show again” check box on the dialog, before installing SP2, I would not have had this problem. However for some reason I liked the dialog and never checked the check box. Well, after I install SP2 and got the error messages every time I logged into windows. I was looking for a way to kill the dialog. With some greatly appreciated help from Microsoft I learned that the splshwrp.exe was the EXE that was running the dialog and that it was being launched from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.

1 comment:

rtodosic said...

From what I understand it is part of the "Welcome to Tablet PC" window that pops up after you install the Tablet OS. It should be safe to stop it from running. The EXE seems to only be installed on Tablet PCs and I don't think that it does anything more then just display information.

However, I am not exactly sure how it works. I thought that it was a host for c:\windows\help\tiptute.hta (HTML application) but now that I look at it again I couldn’t tell you exactly how it runs or what exactly it does, other than somehow be related to the "Welcome to Tablet PC" window.